Saturday, December 12, 2015

Bogota Life in the Dream House Week 5

Well it´s my last week here in the MTC! I couldn't be more excited to get out in the field and start teaching real homies! This week was a real humbling one for me for many reasons. I´m not sure how much news about the situation in Venezuela is in the US, but I'd like to share my thoughts about it just a bit. So Saturday night was the first time we had heard of anything going on when our MTC president announced that everyone should be fasting for Venezuela the next day. I didn't think much of it until I noticed that many of the Latinos were crying, about a third of the Latinos here are from there. The President went on to talk about how the elections would be held the next day and that violence was expected to occur unless it went a certain way, which didn't look likely. He told us that the Church had taken missionaries out of large cites, a big deal for me since I have had 3 roommates who are currently there and know about 40 missionaries personally, and church meetings were canceled. From talking to my 2 new Venezuelan roommates after this I found out that the majority of the Venezuelans had no idea if they were going to see their families ever again. I can't imagine leaving my family like these missionaries and not knowing that they would be safe and have food to eat. I thought it was hard to give up taking 3 hour naps everyday until now. So ya you better bet I fasted for Venezuela, for my roommates, their families, and all my friends in the country right now. It was a rough day on Sunday waiting for the news of the elections to come in, a lot of the Venezuelans were very emotional. I know most of you probably never even thought twice about elections in Venezuela, and I wouldn't either while I was home, but it was a very real fear I can tell you that.


Other than that I've been good as usual. We got 2 new teachers, which were some of our first teachers and they are both helping us a lot improve in all ways! I didn't get in trouble this week which felt good! Spanish is going well too! This week I forgot how to say Word of Wisdom in English which was weird. We´re all wrapping up with our learning here, taking a test to see what we learned on Saturday and then leaving early Tuesday morning! We don't know what area we´re going to, but I'll be back on the next Monday to let you all know how it is! 

My new roommates are super nice! We've gotten really close really fast. Elder Rosales is from Venezuela, doesn't seem to like Americans very much, but can sometimes be nice. Elder Pinacho is from Mexico and his mission is in Medellin as well! Elder Chacin is 18, laughs like a monkey, is from Venezuela, and points with his lips which is strange. Elder Beltran is like my best bro, he is large, can carry me around very easily, gave me a sick watch, and is from Bolivia. All in all my roommates all get along good for the most part, they teach us a lot of Spanish which is nice of them. 

I think that's all I got to tell you guys, I´ll be in the field and sending another email on December 21st
Last temple trip with the whole district.


No comments:

Post a Comment