Monday, March 21, 2016

Lorica, Life with Another Gringo Week 19

Wassup peeps we're back with another week in Colombia.

This week has been a little difficult getting used to a new companion and all the little things they do and don't do.
This week we started teaching 2 young adult girls, Yorleidis and Laura Flores. They both work with this 50 year old man in our ward who introduced us to them. Idk what kinda work they do. They're both really cool tho. Laura is in LOVE with Justin Beiber! She was so mad at me when she found out I lived in the US for 18 years and NEVER went to go meet Justin Beiber. Like it's just so easy to go meet him. The US isn't a huge place or anything according to all the people here. So ya, the old guy is in our lessons with them and they're pretty rad. 
We started "teaching" a recently reactivated man named Manuel this week. He's like 40 but looks like he's 60. He's got 3 kids and is recently separated from his wife. The guy has been a member for 15 years, but was not active a year back up until now. The guy has lived his whole life with nothing. He lives in a lot with cinderblocks surrounding it. His house has no roof, a mango tree, some chickens, no bathroom, and a little place to lock up to sleep. So me and my comp went over to his house twice this week to teach a little, but both times, Manuel literally teaches us. Theres nothing we can figure out to say to him, that he doesn't know already. Its really quite humbling to talk to this man who has lived his whole life in this same house, he works 12 hours a day scraping fish remains out of containers by the river, has no money to feed his children, but yet he loves this church with all of his heart. He has nothing, yet he feels like he has everything. 

A while ago my family/homies tried some maracuyá (passion fruit) suckers that they bought from a Colombian store and they told me that they tasted a little funky and weren't very good. So I bought one this week and I thought it was GREAT, like the best sucker I've had in a long time. 


Hope you all have a great week and remember how blessed we are.

To Grandma:

Thanks for the update, I don't have much time tho, so I gotta be quick. Things here are a little hard, but still good I guess. In a package I like little gadgets and gizmos usually to show little kids. My mom sent me a strawberry plant that I liked. Idk. I like any kind of american candy. Usually chocolate melts, so like peach rings and starbursts and things like that. Love you lots thanks for the update!

Just about sums up our companionship so far. Elder Piñate on the phone saying, "No we can't understand your directions."

Me being a hood rat swag daddy at our weekly branch fellowshipping night thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment