Monday, May 2, 2016

Robledo, Medellin, Life in a Beautiful Place Week 25

Heyo homies! Hope everyone is doing good! Things here in Robledo are going. The work here is still really slow, but Elder Welling and I are finding things to do to keep us busy. We teach a lot of members here "freaking english" which is a lot of fun! 

My ward here actually has a white couple from Maryland! Susanne is a recent convert and her husband has been a member his whole life. After I spoke and introduced myself my first Sunday here they came up to me and started speaking to me in English which was a pleasant surprise. This Wednesday I was with Elder Garcia in the other Robledo area and we went to their house to eat and chat. We spoke in English and talked about weird things Colombians do. They made us CHEESE CRISPS (quesadillas for all you non Arizona weirdos) which were 10/10 would kidnap. I hadn't eaten cheese crisps in 6 months. The couple teach English in a Baptist Bible Seminary here in Medellin. They also teach an English class at the chapel on Wednesday nights which people seem to enjoy. They're awesome people and Im glad they're in my ward! 

It rains here in Medellin just about every day. Its nice, but it also means that we can't put our clothes outside to dry. Something I took advantage of in Lorica is that I could put my clothes outside and the sun would dry it immediately. The sun in Lorica destroys everything, water, fun, lives, etc. 

Apparently the word that smoking is bad hasn't reached this place because its like 10 cents for 20 cigs and everyone and their mom smokes. It's bad.

My house is the only house in the mission that has a bath tub.

Someone who I taught in Lorica before I left, Edubijes, was baptized this last week! It's an awesome feeling to know that I helped someone on their way to baptism even if I couldn't be there for the baptism.

I was talking to my District Leader, Elder Garcia, a lot this week about fears that I have as a missionary. While we were talking he simply asked me at one point, "So you think that fear is a bad thing?" And it really made me think. It made me think of the conversation between Ned Stark and his son Bran Stark. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" Bran asked his father. "That is the only time a man can be brave." His father answered. I find a lot of peace in this. Don't let fear control you, rather, let it motivate you to be better.

I hope everyone has a great week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment